Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Big Brothers, Big Sisters

A few months ago I applied to become a mentor in the Big Brothers, Big Sisters program.  Mike has been a mentor to a nine year old boy, AJ, for a little over a year now and it has been such a great experience for him that it made me want to participate too.  I met with my new "little sister" tonight for the first time and she is an adorable, patient eight year old girl who loves Disney and arts and crafts.  She is talkative and warmed up to me quickly and best of all, her mom is hoping that I can help her with her reading since it hasn't become a favorite hobby just yet.  Of course my mind started brainstorming of all the books we could read together in our own mini-bookclub and all of the activities we can do related to those books.  But first we are going to go bowling Monday night to get to know each other a little better (this was the first thing Seschay mentioned when asked what she loves to do).  I'm excited about starting this mentor program with her and hope that things work out well for a long friendship.

No comments:

Followers